Parish Council

Your Parish Council is the first tier of local government serving Combrook. You will notice that our formal corporate body name uses that other spelling Combroke.
On these pages we aim to:
• tell you about the work of the Parish Council
• provide updates on current Council matters
• give details of current and recent planning applications
• list contacts for your Parish, District and County Councillors and MP.
As we develop the Parish Council pages, we hope they will provide useful information and a forum for discussion about the issues that matter to residents..

The next Meeting of the Parish Council will be on Tuesday 14th November  starting at 7.30 pm at the Village Hall.    Residents are welcome to attend. 

At the last Meeting of the Parish Council on Monday 18th September
We started with planning updates,  It was noted that application 17/01463/FUL  ( at No 14)  had been refused, however some elements of the Report raised questions regarding planning assertions made.  It was felt important to look into the detail and it was  agreed to raise matters as approriate with Planning Officers.  It was explained that the next steps would be for  SDC Enforcement  to consider  the current breach of development control on this site. 

A resident had requested the Parish Council consider Traffic Calming within the Village. After a full discussion it was felt that introduing any new physical elements into the highway system aimed at traffic calming would not be welcomed given that negotiating the village centre  and lanes  when cars are parked can be challenging already and itself  serves to slow vehicles.  It was acknowledged that when the village roadways are clear,  that a very small proportion of drivers may sometime travel a little faster than might be desirable  but it was nontheless thought to be within the statutory limits.  Still on highways,  another resident has raised whether it might be possible to have double white lines on that stretch of the Fosse Way passing the Combrook Junction, it was agreed  to discuss the matter with County Highways.     

It was reported that a Resident has raised the matter of whether the village should seek to acquire a defribulator.  There was a general consensus that we should look into it,  possibly in coordination with the V H Committe,  and it was  agreed to invite a speaker to give a presentation.  We  were pleased to note the  External Financial Audit has been completed  with no  issues raised  and we covered other regular items on the agenda. A copy of the draft minutes will be posted in due course.    

 

At the Meeting of the Parish Council  on  Monday 17th July.  
Some residents had joined us for the planning items with particular interest in the previous pending application at No 14, now withdrawn,  and the  new application (17/01463/FUL) . Since the new application had only recently arrived, and in light of upcoming holiday arrangements,   it was felt  important to agree an overall response at the meeting -and also make further informal opportunities  for residents  who might  which to look at and consider the plans but might not have been able to attend our meeting at short notice. Parish Council's full Representation on the matter is available below. 

We  then turned to other matters. Including a decision that the production of a full status Neighbourhood Plan was not warranted at this time but noting that the Village Plan remains a planning document  and consideration should be given to a review and refresh of the Village Plan in due course.    We  heard that the postbox at the junction with the Kineton Rd had disappeared overnight 11/12th July having been swan off its post, sadly it was noted the chances of apprehending the culprit were minimal. Tim Goodhead was thanked for his repair to door of  the telephone box. 
.....  it was a long meeting and we also covered the usual items finance etc etc ....  

Planning application ref 17/01463/FUL at  No 14:   Use of outbuilding as ancillary residential accommodation; installation of  2 Air Source Heat Pumps and landscaping works to level ground  (retrospective ).

Full details of the scheme can be found on the Planning Authority's  website
The Parish Council is objecting to this scheme and the Parish Council's full Representation to the Planning Authority can be downloaded:  Click Here

You may download a copy of the Agenda at the Parish Council  Meeting on 17 July here: 

Agenda for Parish Council on 17 July 2017

The Annual General Meeting of the Parish Council on Monday 15 May followed at the rising of the Annual Parish Meeting.  The first task was to elect a Chairman and Vice Chairman for the upcoming year 2017/18.    Brenda Rayson was nominated unopposed as Chairman and Tim Goodhead as Vice Chairman.  Both made their declaration of Acceptance of Office to the meeting. 

We went on to confirm that Brenda will continue as Representative for the Kineton United Charities Trust  and Stephanie as the PC Representative on the Village Hall Committee. We reviewed our Standing Orders and Financial Regulations  ~we made no changes to these~  and went on to approve our delegations to the Clerk of the Council. 

We then scrutinised the end of year accounts and approved the formal Annual Governance and  Accounting Statements of the Parish Council to be submitted as our Annual Return to the nationally appointed external auditors. Thanks were recorded to Felicity Bostock for undertaking the local "internal"  audit of our accounts  ( you can see all these documents on our finance page). We also approved the Council's annual insurance renewal and congratulated our Clerk on negotiating a reduced premium.  

Under Chairman's report for information only, a summary was given regarding the significant fly tipping incident that occured recently. The relevant District Council Officer, has indicated that she will be investigating the evidence found with a view to prosecution. In these circumstances,  it was felt inappropriate to discuss the matter in any more detail at this stage - other than to mention that the evidence found points to a culprit driving into the district to dump rubbish for disposal collected for gain ~rather than anyone local. 

Under planning we noted several Tree pruning /felling applications and were content to leave these for the District Council Tree Officer to determine.  The ongoing breaches of planning permission regarding the garage/workshop at No 14 were briefly discussed and it was noted the application 16/03108/FUL ( see below)  has now been extended to 2 June for determination. There was no clarity about why this has been allowed to continue in this way.    The Chairman expressed some frustration that this is now the 2nd year of concerns regarding this planning matter.  

Similarly it was reported that the oustanding drainage and sewage matters at the Compton Fields development continue. There has been no progress on the surface water drainage which caused flooding across neighbouring properties in March 2016 during heavy storms.  On the illegal sewage connection,  Severn Trent has now confirmed that they have now allowed and approved a retrospective application for the indirect sewage connection made to the public sewer via the private foul drain at Deepdene. This indirect connection had been made without the knowledge or pemission from the owners of Deepdene.  The lack of permission remains unresolved.  Severn Trent has also indicated that the new sewer is unadopted. Failure to contruct a sewer within a Section 104 Agreement for Adoption leaves responsibility for its future maintenance unclear, contrary to the intentions of the Flood and Water Management Act 2010. 

Following the presentation at the last meeting about Neighbourhood Planning there was  a discussion exploring whether the Parish Council should pursue this. On the whole it was felt the protection from policies in the Planning Authority's CORE Strategy, if properly interpreted, would be sufficient to address concerns about inappropriate future development.  It was felt the commitment of time and resources required to undertake Neighbourhood Planning might outweigh any benefits.  Since there was a WALC training date on Neighbourhood Planning in June the Chairman proposed delaying a decision until after that date.    

Finally a resident had raised the issue of dog fouling.  It was agreed it would be approriate  to re-issue an updated  version of the previous  leaflet distributed to households and to put up some extra signage on the Leys.    

To read the minutes  from the meeting click  below.........

It was a lovely spring evening..... when the Annual Parish Meeting took place on Monday 15 May.  Brenda Rayson gave the Annual Report as Chairman of the Parish Council during 2016/17.  You can download a copy of the full report below.   As well as reporting on the Year and thanking many people and our Local Services for their support to the village, Brenda also looked forward remarking on one expected highlight,  "all fingers crossed we shall have a broadband fibre offer before the end of 2017!"   District Councillor Chris Mills  gave a brief summary of highlights  from the District Council.  Brenda concluded the meeting thanking everyone again who had supported Combrook and the Parish Council ( see the Report for  ALL the detail !)  and then thanked Parish Councillors and the Clerk, Gina Lowe, for all their support and hard work for the Parish Council during the year. 

Annual Report to the Parish Meeting 2016/17

At the Meeting of the Parish Council on Monday 20 March  we welcomed a Planning Officer from Stratford on Avon District Council to talk to us about Neighbourhood Development Plans and whether or not this is something the Parish Council should consider for Combrook.   This was an interesting and helpful  presentation, it was agreed that we should postpone a further discussion until we had time to absorb and read some of the documents presented.   We also discussed the current on-going planning  matters -for which several residents had attended to make known their concerns.  Our District Councillor agreed to raise some of these issues with Council Officers. 

The Parish Council meeting on Monday 23 January 

Download the Minutes for 23/01/17 here

Planning Application 16/03108/FUL  for 14 Combrook was made valid on 14 December.  This application is for the Temporary Use of Ancillary Outbuilding  as a  Separate Dwelling for a Period of 12 Months.   You can down load the Parish Council's objection to this application here:      Click to download the PC Representation for 16/03108/FUL

Procedural Note: 
The consultation period for the above  ( 16/03108/FUL) clashed with the Parish Council's  usual break for Christmas and New Year Festivities with insufficient  workdays to notify  and convene an extraordinary Council Meeting.  Therefore the Parish Clerk undertook, under their delegated powers, to decide an appropriate Representation and ensure it was submitted on behalf of the Parish Council taking into account: the discussions at the Parish Council meeting on 21 November; as well as  informal email contact with all Councillors, during December and prior to submission on January 12;   including the distribition to Councillors by email of a proposed draft representation.  Individual parish councillors also contacted immediate neighbours.   

Planning application 16/ 03397/FUL    14 Combrook for relocation of vehicular access was discussed  at the Parish Council Meeting on 21 November.  Following a full discussion it was decided  the Parish Council will object to the application.  You can read  the full representation here .   **** this application was subsequently  withdrawn during December,  but see application 16/03108/FUL  above ****                Click here to download the P C Representation  for 16/03397/FUL 

At the Parish Council meeting on 21 November 2016.  Three residents attended the meeting.  We considered the planning application for No 14.   See  separate note. During this item there  was also a full discussion about the breach of planning permission at No 14 which had occured in 2015 and is still not resolved. We noted also ongoing drainage matters, on the housing development at  Compton Fields.  Time was given to a scrutiny of the half yearly  finance report  and consideration given to a draft budget  and  precept for 2017/18  which will be finalised in January.  It was felt a 2% increase might be appropriate  and which will formally be  confirmed at the January meeting.   With the extensive  time given over to planning matters at the meeting it was resolved to delay discussion about Neighbourhood Planning  until January.  But the usual agenda items were discussed.  You can read the full minutes of the meeting here:  Click to download the minutes for 21/11/2016 

The Parish Council  held an extra-ordinary meeting on 20th September 2016 to consider  a planning application ref   16/02796/FUL, at the Combrook Garage.  A good number of residents turned up to hear about the proposals and offer their views ~the Council is always grateful when residents contribute in this way.   A display of  the proposals  was left in the village hall for residents unable to attend the meeting.  In total 25 residents visited the display representing over one third of households.  The Parish Council's Representation submitted to the Planning Authority  can be viewed here:      Click to Download

At the Parish Council meeting on 5 September 2016 the issue of village lanes and their names took a further turn.  The Ordnance  Survey  have agreed their mapping details  are incorrctly showing Spring Lane  and Church Hill extending around the village and have agreed to look into the matter.  It was decided the Parish Council should postpone  any wider discussions with the residents about lane names until it is clear what can be done.   We reviewed a number of planning matters .
Attention was drawn to the  depleted broadband service some residents were experiencing  and it  was agreed to try and  engage  BT again on the matter  whilst  we wait for further outcomes from the second wav the  of  Coventry, Solluhull and Warwickshire broadband project  

Click to download Parish Council Minutes  5 September 2016  

At the meeting on 11th July, the Parish Council reviewed its standing orders and financial regulations to take acount of recent advice from the National Association of Local Councils. Standing orders are the procedures which guide the Council's actions and operation, and similarly the financial regulations are about systems protecting how we manage finance. We approved and have now published the financial regulations on our finance page and you can see a copy of the Standing Orders we approved below.      Approved Standing Orders 2016:  Download

The Parish Council's representation for application  16/16/01642/FUL & 16/01643/LBC at Red House, for the  Demolition of existing stable block and erection of proposed  new stable block, may be found here:   Download

We held the Annual Parish Meeting on Monday 23 May 2016.   As well as Council Members and our District and County Council repreprentatives,  2 residents joined us.  A report for the year 2015-16 was given by Brenda Rayson, you can download it:  click here

After the Annual Parish Meeting we held the AGM of the Parish Council, including ordinary matters of the Council

The first task was to elect Chairman and Vice Chairman for the upcoming year 2016/17.    Brenda Rayson was nominated unopposed as Chairman and Tim Goodhead as Vice Chairman.  Both gave their declaration of Acceptance of Office to the meeting. 
We went on to confirm that Brenda will continue as Representative for the Kineton United Charities Trust  and Stephanie  was willing to take on the role as the PC Representative on the Village Hall Committee. We reviewed  and approved our delegations to the Clerk of the Council and agreed to postpone review of our Standing Orders and Financial Regulations to our next meeting to take account of recent changes advised by the WALC ( Warwickshire Association of Local Councils).  

We then scrutinised the end of year accounts and approved the formal Annual Governance and  Accounting Statements of the Parish Council to be submitted to the nationally appointed external auditors.  Thanks were recorded to Peter Bridgewater for undertaking the local "internal"  audit of our accounts  ( you can see all these documents on our finance page). We also approved the Council's annual insurance renewal.  
We were delighted to congratulate our Clerk, Gina Lowe, on attaining the nationally recognised  CiLCA qualification  -  Combroke Parish Council is now proud that the Clerk holds a formal qualification in local government administration.

Then we went on to other matters including:  

Under planning the Chairman expressed some frustration that the  Stratford on Avon District Council Conservation Officer was now no longer allowed to advise on planning applications which have impact on the Conservation Area or impact on our Listed  Buildings.  The role appears now to be confined to applications about Listed Buildings only.  This was thought to be most unsatisfactory in relation to the duty to protect the Conservation Area.  Our district Coucillor, Chris Mills, agreed to look into this.   

Additionally, under planning,  the Chairman raised further concerns about lack of response from the District Council on 2 outstanding plannng matters: the breach of planning with regard the garage/workshop at No 14  which had been raised by the Parish Council in December 2015,  and the multiple concerns regarding the Compton Fields development which have still not been adressed, most recently the flooding of neighbouring property on 9 March.

We were pleased to note that the new postcode for Compton Fields has been assigned.
It was agreed that we should plan a village discussion to gather views about how we might improve village mapping and postcode navigation to aid delivery vehicles in locating properties.  It was revealed that at least one village property can  be accurately located on a navigation device  via postcode/address but sadly most of our properties remain unidentifiable  within the google mapping that most navigation devices rely upon for postcode/address identification. 

The Parish Council's Representation for application 16/00728/FUL  at Highfield  for a proposed 2 storey extension may be  downloaded: click here

You can find details of earlier  meetings by clicking on this page:   Meetings  2015-16